It is the policy of this hospital that all drugs and medications maintained in the hospital is properly labelled.
Drugs labels must be legible, clear and consistent at all times.
Any drug label soiled, incomplete or illegible is returned and replaced by the pharmacy
Any drug label soiled, incomplete or illegible is returned to the supplier from the pharmacy after getting approval from the chief pharmacist and the same is documented
The following details must be on the cover of all cut tablets/capsules strip or loose tablets dispensed to IPD/OPD patients
- Name of the medicine
- Strength and form of medicine
- Quantity of medicine
- Frequency of administration
- Expired medicines are kept separate from stock with label on the box till return to vendor.
- While preparing the drugs, one drug at a time is prepared, labelled and dispatched. Refer protocol on Chemotherapy Drug Preparation.
Labelling & Storage of cut strips
- Any cut strips remaining of a particular batch will be kept in a separate pouch with proper labelling before taking the new batch stock.
- All cut strips stored in the pharmacy should have labelled as follows.
- Name of the drug
- Batch no.
- Expiry date etc.