Acquisition of medical supplies and consumables
- Maximum THREE brands are made available
- The brands are selected on the basis of Quality, Cost, Supply, Availability and Service by the vendor
- List of Medical supplies and consumables approved by PTC committee is maintained in the Pharmacy
- The pharmacists keep check on software for out of stock medical supplies and consumables
- The purchase order is prepared based on the reorder level set in the software
- It is the policy of Hospital to order, store and dispense only the approved medical supplies and consumables
- The medical supplies and consumables are purchased from the authorized distributors or from the company directly.
- On delivery of goods in pharmacy, they are checked along with their expiry dates by the pharmacy staff. After checking the goods, the pharmacy staff signs and goods received pharmacy stamp is put on the purchase receipt.
- The original purchase receipt is retained by pharmacy and the duplicate receipt is handed over to the deliveryman of the distributor. Items received are entered in the system manually and the software generates the GRN note and its print is taken.
- The receipts are then submitted along with the GRN for payment.
- Check is received along with P.O. + GRN Note.
Medical supplies and consumables are used in a safe manner where appropriate. Items are opened and used using relevant precautions to maintain sterility and integrity.
Medical supplies and consumables are stored in a clean; safe and secure environment; & incorporating manufacturer’s recommendation (s). This includes the point of storage/ source area and the end-user area. Appropriate safety measures are developed and implemented for all levels.
HAZMAT materials are stored separately. Medical Gases follow Uniform color coding for gas pipelines, display of color codes in concerned areas, statutory requirements, licenses, and other approvals. It applies to all the gases stored and used in the organization.
Sound inventory control practices guide storage of medical supplies and consumables and follows ABC, VED, FIFO and lead time analysis.
Condition of medical supplies and consumables are checked at fixed interval both in pharmacies and in the concerned departments. These are verified during the quarterly audit done by the PTC Committee. Other than this, the condition of the material is checked before dispensing and usage. Any items with opened package, physical damage or any kind of discoloration are return to the pharmacy and then to the supplier.