Nursing Supervisor is accountable for the Nursing care management of a ward or a unit assigned to her/him. She/ he takes full charge of the ward and assigns work for various categories of nursing and non-Nursing personnel working with her.
- Assists in the direct care of the patient as and when required.
- Assists the patient and his/her relatives to adjust in the hospital and its routine.
- Coordinates patient care with other departments.
- Ensures proper admission, discharge of her patients.
- Ensures safety, comfort and good personal hygiene of her /his patient.
- Implements doctors’ instructions concerning patient treatment.
- Plans nursing care and make patients’ assignment as per their nursing needs.
- Sees that helpless patient are regularly fed as per direction.
- Sees that proper observation records of the patients are made and necessary information imparted to the concerned authorities.
- Ensure that total health needs of patients are met.
- Takes Nursing rounds with staff.
- Takes rounds with doctors. Assists him in diagnosis and treatment of the patients.
Supervision and Administration
- Check & submit the census of the department.
- Ensures safe and clean environment for the ward.
- Read & discuss the SOP with nursing staff & HK & keep attendance record inform to Manager Admin Nursing
- Prepares duty and work assignments.
- Indents Ward store and keeps necessary records.
- Does regular inventory checking of her /his ward.
- Makes list for condemnation of articles and submits it to all concerned.
- Assists in making ward requirements.
- Reinforces ward standards prescribed in the procedures and manuals of the ward and the hospital and policies that are in force.
- Sees that ward statistics are regularly submitted.
- Maintains discipline among the ward workers, e.g., Staff Nurses, students and domestic staff.
- Deals appropriately with any adverse situation that has occurred in the ward and reports to the concerned authorities.
- Reports about any medico-legal cases in the ward.
- Writes and submits confidential reports of the staff.
- Help nursing manager to carries out Competency Assessment for the staff.
- Reports and documents medication errors/adverse events
- Organizes orientation programmes for new staff.
- Organizes formal and informal ward teaching, conducts bedside clinics and demonstrations.
- Conducts ward conferences/meetings.
- Gives incidental teaching to patients, relatives, Staff Nurses, students and the domestic staff.
- Guides in formulation of Nursing care studies, and nursing care plans etc.
- Evaluates the staff’s performance and submits reports to the nursing administration.
- Encourages staff development programme in her/his ward.
- Verbal Ability/Communication Skill (Written & Oral)
- Problem Solving/Decision Making
- Leadership Qualities
- Creative Thinking