OT Incharge administers, directs and coordinates activities of patient care administration within surgical services unit, and is responsible for the recommendation, development and implementation of policies and procedures in OT, and for keeping the Deputy Director of Nursing/General Manager informed of both progress and potential problems.
Responsible for the direction and evaluation of patient care delivery.
Maintains operational aspects of the OT in collaboration with other service areas.
Key areas of responsibility
- Overall supervision of the Operating Rooms activities
- Provides professional nursing care according to established standards and procedures.
- Assists in the administration of nursing programs by providing supervisory skills needed in directing, planning, implementing, evaluating, and coordinating nursing care and the delivery of patient care in OT.
Management of Patient Care
- Facilitates and monitors activities related to patient care.
- Ensures continuity of care based upon knowledge of patient needs.
- Administers pre/post/recovery room care to patients/staff, as needed, to maintain clinical skills, to assess particular patients’ requirements or as support to patient care unit staff.
- Assumes the role of patient advocates respecting guideline found in the patient’s rights.
- Serves as a clinical resource person and assists OT personnel in assessing patient.
- Provides mechanisms to assure patient and significant others participation in care planning.
Management of Patient Care Personnel
- Counsels employees, develops staff and, as appropriate, utilizes the disciplinary process.
- Plans and maintains staffing pattern for the OT meeting the patient’s need for continuity of care and level of care.
- Schedules nursing personnel to ensure adequate staffing for each case.
- Collaborates with Nursing Superintendent in determining and obtaining equipment and supplies needed in the performance of patient care.
- Assists nursing personnel in identifying patient and family needs.
- Counsels relatives when required at the waiting area
- Co-ordinates with the consultants to ensure that good nursing care is provided.
- Ensures that all surgeons and anesthetist orders are executed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Management of OT Care Unit
- Check & submit the census of the department.
- Reinforces OT standards prescribed in the procedures and manuals of the ward and the hospital and policies that are in force.
- Participates in quality assessment and improvement.
- Responsible for safety and comfort of patients, and the health and safety of employees assigned to the OT.
- Collaborates with ancillary support services to provide a safe, clean and secure environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Evaluates and sets standards for facilities and equipment, and monitors utilization of equipment and supplies.
- Promotes open communication within the unit, service, and with other units and services.
- Provides assistance in the orientation to and practice of emergency procedures, fire Drills, evacuation procedures and internal/ external disaster plans and procedures.
- Maintains and updates Inventory as per the hospital policy.
- To ensure that the procedure details are filled in the register in time.
- Keeps up to date appraisal of Unit capability and requirements.
- Keeps an up to date knowledge of the unit and drug changes and instructs staff of such changes.
- Review and inform Nursing Superintendent regarding nursing unit problems and needs, recommending changes in the policies and procedures.
- To monitor, supervise and train the other staff including staff nurses, nursing aids, OT technicians and CSSD technicians
- Responsible for the OT attire which includes sterility, cleanliness, neatness and adherence to hospital policies and protocols.
- Assist the Nursing Superintendent in the investigation of reports of incidents, suspected infections and patient / doctor complaints and resolves problems or makes recommendation for action.
- Ensures the proper disposal of sharps and hospital waste
- To maintain the required stock of equipment and other materials.
- To be a part of the discussions involving OT related issues with the management.
- To monitor infection control related activities such as fumigation, environmental sampling, equipment sterilization and validation tests for the effectiveness of sterilization.
- To assist the Surgeons and Anaesthetists in the OT related activities
- Provides for professional growth and development of OT staff and establishes climate conducive to meeting educational needs and efforts of the unit.
- Cooperates with clinical instructors in planning, implementation and evaluation of staff clinical experience.
- Assumes responsibility for own personal continuing education and developmental needs; attends meetings. Workshops and conventions to enrich personal knowledge, growth and skill in providing clinical care for patients.
- Verbal Ability/Communication Skill- Effectively communicate with Co-workers & peers
- Problem Solving/Decision Making- Root Cause Analysis
- Interpersonal Skill- Co-operation teamwork