A monthly audit of prescriptions written by doctor is conducted by a team of Pharmacist, Multidisciplinary/cross-speciality Consultant Quality Team Member, trained doctor/Nursing team member.
The purpose of the audit is to ensure that there is a good practice of prescribing medicines in a safe manner by reducing the possibilities of human errors.
- A monthly audit is conducted by the identified team.
- It is conducted for both OPD & IP prescriptions separately.
- OP data is collected from the prescription forms, while the IP data is collected from Medication Administration Record, Progress Notes etc in active files.
- The audit sample size is based on the Average Number of Admissions/footfalls for IPD and OPD respectively
- The data and its analysis are shared with Quality team on a monthly basis.
- It is also presented in the PTC committee meeting once in three months.
- Appropriate corrective actions are taken on need basis and preventive actions are initiated using Training Sessions with Consultants, Residents etc.
- The corrective & Preventive action is targeted towards reducing Medication errors by promoting legible, unambiguous, clear Prescription and Transcription practices.
- Data of already reported Medication Error / Near Miss; is not included in sample size but the ‘Root Cause Analysis’ Finding of such events are compiled in addition to the Audit report while presenting or training.