The radiation safety committee in association with the RSO shall lay down policies and implement the same as per the International guidelines/JCI/NABH guidelines and AERB guidelines
Table of Contents
Applicable for all pharmacist, doctors and nurses.
Constitution of the committee
- RSO radiotherapy (Chairman)
- RSO nuclear medicine (Secretary)
- Centre Head
- Radiation department consultants
- RSO radiology
- Quality and Operations Manager
- HOD – Nursing Services
- HOD – PET CT & Nuclear Medicine
- Radiology department HOD
- CT scan technician
The chairman shall have the authority to invite any non-member to attend the meeting, if it is deemed fit in relation to any matter being/ or to be deliberated by the committee.
The minimum quorum for passing any resolution in the committee is more than 50%.
Following members to be mandatorily present in the committee to pass a resolution
RSO of the concerned department
Frequency of meeting
Members of the committee meet once in 6 months.
Selection of members
1. Chairperson – Selected by the chairman of Apex Committee
- Secretary – Selected by the chairperson, he or she is also a member of the committee
Members – Selected by the chairperson
- The safe storage and movement of radioactive material within the radiation installation
- Initiation of suitable remedial measures in respect of any situation that could lead to potential exposures
- Analyze reports on all hazardous situations along with details of any immediate remedial actions taken are made available to the employer and licensee for reporting to the competent authority and a copy endorsed to the competent authority;
- Status of quality assurance tests of structures, systems, components and sources, as applicable are conducted
The safe disposal of radioactive wastes
- Developing suitable emergency response plans to deal with accidents and maintaining emergency preparedness
- Decide on the safety and security of radioactive sources
- Verify the periodic reports on safety status the employees working in radiation generating departments
Role of chairperson
Acts as a liaison between the Radiation safety Committee members and the apex committee chairperson
Receives all the information pertaining to radiation safety and initiate necessary action as required.
Keep oneself abreast with the recent developments in the field.
Role of secretary (Member Secretary)
- Prepare the agenda for the next meeting
- Submission for approval of agenda by the chairperson
- Inform the committee members regarding the next meeting at least 2 days before the meeting
- The minutes of the meeting shall be prepared by the secretary
- Get the approval of minutes by the chairperson
- Circulate the agenda approved by the chairperson to the members and the concerned persons
- To maintain all records (as per list) related to the committee
- Submission of a copy of the agenda and the minutes of the meeting to the quality department after getting a signature from all the concerned members
Agendas for the meeting shall be prepared by the secretary in consultation with the chair person. Then it is sent to all committee members and other experts. The agenda shall be sent to all at least 2 days before the scheduled meeting.
A meeting shall be called even by an oral / telephone communication in case of an emergency meeting. A justification for the emergency meeting has to be given.
- Shall be prepared by the secretary
- MoM is sent to the chairperson for the approval within three days of the meeting
- After the approval of the minutes by the chairperson, the approved minutes are circulated within 2 days of the meeting to all the committee members and the person concerned for implementation
- A copy of the agenda and minutes of every meeting shall be sent to the quality manager by the member secretary
- A thorough discussion of the agenda shall be done by the committee members and based on their suggestion and recommendations the issue shall be weighed. Also as and when needed any kind of trial study may be performed and based on the outcome of it the committee will decide on that issue.
- The decision of the committee will be finally taken by a majority vote and that shall be implemented.
Records to be maintained
- List and details of all members
- The TOR of the committee
- Copy of all agendas, minutes of all meeting
- Attendance sheet
- Copy of any other correspondence to the committee members or non-members
- Copy of any study conducted for the sake of the committee